Life Science Industry
Integrated Consulting for leading organisations of the Pharmaceutical and Life Science Industry
The Life Science industry, particularly the biopharmaceutical and medical devices sectors, which are historically risk adverse, are experiencing significant uncertainty and challenges necessitating a dynamic response in business impact and improved performance:
- Patent expiration wave making it's way through the industry, especially the major players
- Persistent increasing regulatory hurdles in developed markets
- Increasingly demanding stakeholders, including payors, providers, pharmacies & patient groups
- Ongoing operational challenges in the Value Chain – from slumping R&D productivity to supply shortages
- An increased relative importance to cash and supply chain/operational effectiveness
This unprecedented performance change has impacted all parts of the Value Chain of companies in the Life Science industry with the resultant need to drive holistic and coordinated response simultaneously across the entire chain.
J&M have continuously fine-tuned and adjusted our expertise to closely support our clients‘ requirements to deliver Value Creation and drive sustainable results.
J&M's biopharmaceutical and medical devices expertise and capabilities enable us to provide integrated Management and IT Consulting services supporting our clients‘ strategic, process, organisational and IT agendas. We continue to enhance and strengthen our capabilities in delivering Integrated Supply Chain solutions for the Life Science industry, including the following:
- SC Strategy including product life cycle management, strategic product allocation and network design.
- SC segmentation and performance management
- Integrated planning and management including Sales and Operations Planning and inventory optimisation
- Operational excellence and optimisation across Sourcing & Purchasing, manufacturing & logistics and Marketing, Sales & Service
We have extended our expertise and successfully delivered additional value add in:
- Supplier Relationship Management (SRM)to align and optimise the operational performance of partner organisations along the value chain of biopharmaceutical and medical devices companies.
- Sales and Marketing excellence in support of product launch and product sales optimisation.
- Clinical supply excellence including resource optimisation.
Our clients include medium-sized enterprises and major international players. The following are some illustrative examples of recent engagements we delivered value with our clients:
- Implemented an Integrated Supply Chain strategy including the design of a new SC organisation for a global API producer resulting in 8% cost efficiencies and 15% enhanced customer satisfaction levels.
- Supported a transformational HR outsourcing project of a major Global organisation including change management strategy, commercial negotiation support and design of the new operating model.
- Designed and implemented a European S&OP process for a global Medical Devices business delivering a business case based on a 15% inventory reduction whilst improving order fulfillment.
- Global implementation of SAP Pharmaceutical best practice template with an objective of maximising standardisation and harmonisation across multiple locations.
- Supported the European organisation of a Global business to reverse an adverse trend in the sales performance of a major CV product.
- Developed and conducted a launch readiness assessment for a mid-sized Pharmaceutical business of a narcotic product, a market in which it had no previous experience.
Client feedback continues to be consistent: Our projects have a reputation for being pragmatic and results driven. Clients tell us that one of our major strengths is our consultant teams have a mix of industry experience, and subject matter expertise. We work easily with client teams delivering results through people.
‘Working together with J&M we have built a Supply Chain capability enabling our business to enhance performance and drive improvements. Our project delivered and continues to deliver improvements both in supply and demand having aligned all functional teams to the end to end performance of our products. One of the key drivers of improvements is having a much truer picture of demand which we have achieved through more effective demand forecasting and our S & OP processes.'
Dr. Chris Murray, Head of Supply Chain
MacFarlanSmith (a Johnson Matthey Company)
‘The J&M consultants have carried out a thorough analysis of our Sales performance and worked with our team to build a pragmatic short and mid-term response to the market changes to enable us to deliver on our ambitious business performance goals.
Ann VanBulck, European CV Marketing Director